Friday 25 April 2014

Red Velvet Dreams

Today mark's a day I am incredibly proud of. A small step closer to making my dreams possible.

I attended a presentation skills training session at work a couple of weeks ago, as a warm up exercise we were asked to select a topic card, and then talk for 2 minutes on that particular subject, with no preparation. The card I selected at random was; your favorite food. Obviously, I passionately rambled on about my love for cupcakes and sweet things in general, and I was told my excitement was infectious! The conversation continued during morning tea and I was asked if I ever made cupcakes to sell, I nervously said that it was something I'd love to do

Roll on to yesterday, I was approached by a co-worker to see if I would be able to bake something, in time for a Mad Hatter themed bridal shower this weekend. I immediately felt anxious, I'd never actually SOLD a cake, I had no idea how to price or charge for my work or time. In my mind I was thinking who would actually pay for something I had made?! The sudden doubt about my capabilities crept in, but I reluctantly accepted the challenge.


With the short time frame, I suggested Red Velvet - with the red/white colouring I thought it could symbolise The Queen of Hearts another Alice in Wonderland character. Plus they're delicious! Luckily I only had to bake 24, nothing too far out of my comfort zone but I needed each one to be perfect. A scary thought, considering I was trialling a brand new recipe, provided to me at my cupcake baking class.
Nothing more inviting than Red Velvet batter
Perfectly risen and baked 


















Today, I put all my love into baking 24 perfectly iced Red Velvet cupcakes. I love the colour of the batter, and the excitement of adding the vinegar at the end to watch the explosion of air bubbles incorporating into the mixture! Again, my trusty oven thermometer, allowed my oven to be the correct temperature allowing for perfectly even cakes.

Adding the cream cheese frosting and tiny love heart decorations
I'm so please with how each and every one of the 24 came out, I would be so upset to present a box of ugly cakes - but these are pretty, and I had a sneaky taste and they are yummy too!

My main grumble about cupcake stores is the amount of icing they put on top - I have a sweet tooth but I usually end up scraping a bit off as it gets too sickly! So I consciously took that into account as I piped my cream cheese frosting on.
Red Velvet Cupcake
What do you think? Would you pay for one of these...? If you would like the recipe on how to bake these yourself, let me know and I can write another blog post tutorial x

No comments:

Post a Comment